Box Office Results - 'Downton Abbey', 'Ad Astra' and 'Rambo: Last Blood'
One would think that old Rambo and space Brad Pitt would have a stranglehold on the box office this weekend, but no, a little TV-show-turned-film took the crown. Yes, Downton Abbey is our big winner this weekend, which surprised just about everyone. It was a close race for number 2, with 4 films vying for the slot. Let’s take a look.
Downton Abbey (Focus)
Box Office: $31 million
Downton Abbey, which I’m just beginning to watch with my wife, is one of those television shows I knew was really big, but never thought that it’s success on television would translate well to the big screen. I stand corrected as the film grossed an astonishing $31 million at the box office this weekend. It’s still uncertain how well this film will hold up as you would think that the fans would burn off all the demand in the first weekend, but who knows. With good reviews I think this one will hold up pretty well, Look for Downton Abbey to finish up its run around $85 million.
Ad Astra (Fox)
Box Office: $19 million
The James Gray masterpiece that is reported to have cost upwards of $80-100 million sort of bombed this weekend. The film made $19 million this weekend, which isn’t embarrassingly low, but it’s going to need a lot of overseas help to ensure its survival. I loved this film so this stings ever so slightly, and that sting is compounded by the fact that audiences didn’t seem to dig it. Look for Ad Astra to wrap up its run around $50-55 million.
Rambo: Last Blood (Lionsgate)
Box Office: $18.9 million
Rambo’s back, and people missed him just about as much as they did 10 years ago, as evidenced by the film’s $18.9 million opening. This isn’t a bomb, but it’s not a hit. The film cost $50 million to produce and will likely sink like a stone in the coming weeks as demand is quickly burned off. Look for Rambo: Last Blood to gross around $45 million by the time it leaves theaters.
The Top 10:
1. Downton Abbey - $31 million (NEW) $31 million
2. Ad Astra - $19 million (NEW) $19 million
3. Rambo: Last Blood - $18.9 million (NEW) $18.9 million
4. IT: Chapter 2 - $17 million (-57.1%) $178.9 million
5. Hustlers - $16.8 million (-49.3%) $62.4 million
6. The Lion King - $2.7 million (-26.6%) $537.7 million
7. Good Boys - $2.6 million (-38.7%) $77.4 million
8. Angel Has Fallen - $2.4 million (-46.4%) $64.7 million
9. Overcomer - $1.5 million (-44.2%) $31.6 million
10. Hobbs & Shaw - $1.5 million (-47.8%) $170.6 million
Source: Box Office Mojo