Box Office Results - 'Angel Has Fallen', 'Ready Or Not' and 'Overcomer'
It would seem this summer just doesn’t want to die, as we now have another moderate success story at the box office in the form of the third entry in the “Fallen” series, Angel Has Fallen. Another faith-based drama, titled Overcomer also exceeded expectations and Ready Or Not did just well enough to get a pass. Let’s break down the numbers below.
Angel Has Fallen (Lionsgate)
Box Office: $21.4 million
Angel Has Fallen was expected to hit the mid-teen-millions this weekend, and handily surpassed those projections with $21.4 million, which is especially favorable considering this opened to the same amount as the previous film, London Has Fallen, but cost $20 million less to produce at $40 million. If overseas follows suit and gives us a similar take to the previous films, we could have another modest hit on our hands. I expect Angel Has Fallen to end its domestic run at around $55 million, thus opening up the possibilities for yet another film in the franchise.
Box Office: $8.1 million
The Christian flavor of the year is Overcomer, and it, again, overperformed and will likely have a pretty great multiplier if history is anything to go off of. The film grossed around $8.1 million, and I expect that it will at least clear $35 million by the time it leaves theaters.
Ready Or Not (Fox)
Box Office: $8 million
The low-budget Fox Searchlight horror film, Ready Or Not, did just about as expected this weekend with a three-day-total of $8 million against its $5 million budget. Critics had mostly glowing reviews for the flick and audiences seem to like it well enough, so here’s hoping it hold up going forward. I expect Ready Or Not to end its domestic theatrical run around $25 million.
The Top 10
1. Angel Has Fallen - $21.4 million (NEW) $21.4 million
2. Good Boys - $11.6 million (-45.6%) $41.9 million
3. Overcomer - $8.1 million (NEW) $8.1 million
4. Hobbs & Shaw - $8 million (-43%) $147.6 million
5. The Lion King - $8 million (-34.6%) $510.6 million
6. Ready Or Not - $8 million (NEW) $11 million
7. The Angry Birds Movie 2 - $6.4 million (-38.4%) $27.1 million
8. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - $5.9 million (-41.4%) $50.4 million
9. Dora and the Lost City of Gold - $5.3 million (-37.8%) $43.2 million
10. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - $5 million (-34.8%) $123.2 million
Source: Box Office Mojo