Box Office Results - 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' and 'Midsommar'
Another weekend, another huge Marvel movie. Spider-Man: Far From Home busted onto the scene in a big way over the past six days. Midsommar also notched one of A24’s better openings. Let’s take a look at this week’s numbers.
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony)
Box Office: $93.6 million
I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone at this point that the Marvel Studio’s gravy train is still going at full speed ahead, especially after the juggernaut that was Avengers: Endgame. Spider-Man: Far From Home grossed an impressive $185 million over the long 6-day holiday stretch, $92.6 million of which was from the standard FFS weekend. Not to shabby at all. If this film has legs, which it most likely will based off of Marvel’s stellar track-record and glowing audience and critic scores, this film could be the first Spider-Man movie to hit $400 million domestically since the very first Toby Maguire film.
Box Office: $6.6 million
$6.6 million may not sound impressive, but when you consider that Midsommar cost only $10 million, and had a mostly digital/word-of-mouth marketing campaign, things start to look a little rosier. In addition to this, the film had a 5-day start, so it’s actually sitting at just under $11 million. While critics did take a shine to it, the reviews weren’t quite as positive as director Ari Aster’s previous film, Hereditary, though audiences seem to be warmer on Midsommar than they were the former. So really, it’s a toss up as to whether or not this one has any semblance of legs. If I were to guess, I think Midsommar will have enough gas in the tank to make it to around $22 million, which should be just fine for the A24 release.
The Top 10
1. Spider-Man: Far From Home - $93.6 million (NEW) $185 million
2. Toy Story 4 - $34.4 million (-42.5%) $306.6 million
3. Yesterday - $10.8 million (-36.8%) $36.9 million
4. Annabelle Comes Home - $9.8 million (-51.9%) $50.2 million
5. Aladdin - $7.6 million (-24.9%) $320.8 million
6. Midsommar - $6.6 million (NEW) $10.9 million
7. The Secret Life of Pets 2 - $4.8 million (-35%) $140.7 million
8. Men In Black International - $3.6 million (-45.6%) $72 million
9. Avengers: Endgame - $3.1 million (-49.3%) $847.9 million
10. Rocketman - $2.8 million (-29.5%) $89.2 million
Source: Box Office Mojo