Box Office Results - 'Annabelle Comes Home', and 'Yesterday'
We all knew the week before Spider-man Far From Home was going to be a little light on wide releases, but I feel like a couple of films we got still put up a decent fight, though Annabelle Comes Home did have the worst opening weekend performance of any of the Conjuring films. Lets take a look at the weekend overall.
Annabelle Comes Home (WB)
Box Office: 20.3 million
While Annabelle Comes Home did have the worst performance of the three Annabelle films (and all of the Conjuring universe thus far), it still cost a modest $27 million to produce and it released on a Wednesday which burned off some of the demand early on. The film currently sits at $31 million, which is still behind the $37 million and $35 million openings of Annabelle and Annabelle: Creation. Still, with mixed-positive buzz and a decent critic score, this one has a chance to hold up and likely won’t take too hard of a hit from Spider-man because it’s appealing to a completely different demographic. I think Annabelle should end up with a decent $70 million by the time it leaves theaters, and with some good overseas support, this should result in another success story, even if it’s a tad more meager than its predecessors.
Box Office: $17 million
The high-concept romantic comedy from Danny Boyle made a slightly bigger splash this weekend than many were anticipating. The pic grossed $17 million for the weekend and people seem to really like it, even if critics are merely lukewarm. Movies like this tend to counter-program well, and with a slightly higher weekend than anticipated I think this one has a chance of climbing to around $60 million.
The Top 10
1. Annabelle Comes Home - $20.3 million (NEW) $31.1 million
2. Yesterday - $17 million (NEW) $17 million
3. Aladdin - $10.1 million (-23.6%) $306.6 million
4. The Secret Life of Pets 2 - $7.3 million (-28.7%) $131.4 million
5. Men in Black International - $6.7 million (-37.5%) $65.2 million
6. Avengers: Endgame - $6.1 million (+207%) $841.9 million
7. Child’s Play - $4.4 million (-68.6%) $23.6 million
8. Rocketman - $3.9 million (-29.8%) $84.2 million
9. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - $3.2 million (-20.5%) $161.4 million
10. Godzilla: King of the Monsters - $2.1 million (-44.6%) 106.7 million
Source: Box Office Mojo