Box Office Results - 'How to Train Your Dragon 3', 'Fighting with My Family' and 'Run the Race'
We all knew How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World was going to take the gold this week, but I don’t think many thought it would have the highest opening weekend of the series! This weekend also saw the wide expansion of Fighting with My Family and the release of Run the Race.
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Universal)
Box Office: $55 million
I’m so happy to report that How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World had the highest opening weekend of the franchise. The previous two scored $44 million and $49 million, which doesn’t sound impressive, but both ended up legging it out to $217 million and $177 million respectively. If Hidden World’s $55 million debut, 92% RT score and A cinema score are any indication we could be in for another leggy hit. I don’t think it will hold as well as the first film, but a end result over $200 million seems like it might be possible at this point.
Fighting with My Family (MGM)
Box Office: $7.8 million
The comedic drama that got a boost from Dwayne Johnson’s involvement got a decent start this weekend with around $7.8 million. The film also has strong reviews so I would expect decent legs on this one and since it only cost around $11 million it should be fine in the long run. Expect a finish over $30 million.
Run the Race (RAtt)
Box Office: $2.2 million
Run the Race opened in under 1000 screens and didn’t get a big marketing push, so I never expected it to do much better than the $2.2 million that it pulled in this weekend. Still, it’s not a great number, and with no reported budget it’s hard to tell what the studio was aiming for. The film also didn’t get very good reviews so it will likely fade fast at the box office. Expect a $5 million finish for this one.
The Top 10
1. How to Train Your Dragon - $55 million (NEW)
2. Alita: Battle Angel - $12.3 million (-57%) $61 million
3. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part - $9.7 million (-53%) $83.3 million
4. Fighting with My Family - $7.8 million (+5,529%) $8 million
5. Isn’t it Romantic - $7.1 million (-50%) $33.4 million
6. What Men Want - $5.3 million (-51%) $45 million
7. Happy Death Day 2U - $4.9 million (-49%) $21.5 million
8. Cold Pursuit - $3.2 million (-46%) $27 million
9. The Upside - $3.2 million (-42%) $99.7 million
10. Run the Race - $2.2 million (NEW)
Source: Box Office Mojo