Box Office Results - 'Wonder Woman' and 'Captain Underpants'
Well, I'm super proud of myself for one of the predictions I made this week and well, not as much so for the other one. Wonder Woman was a breakout hit, while Captain Underpants did simply passable business. Let's break it down:
Wonder Woman (WB)
Predicted: $105 million
I'm so glad I hedged my bets on this one. I originally was going to guess somewhere in the $85 million range, but decided at the very last minute to bump it up significantly due to the white-hot buzz. I'm happy to report that Wonder Woman massively over-performed this weekend with an absolutely splendid $103 million opening. The reviews and audience scores have also been through-the-roof so expect some pretty long legs on this one. My prediction is that Wonder Woman makes it all the way up to $270 million domestically, maybe even higher depending on how future releases perform.
Captain Underpants (Fox)
Predicted: $30 million
Actual: $24 million
I kind of figured this would settle into the mid-20-million range, but just as I was for Wonder Woman, I was a little more hopeful this weekend. Captain Underpants' opening of $24 million this weekend would have been a disappointment had the film cost as much as previous Dreamworks productions, but it didn't, not even close. Captain Underpants cost a surprisingly conservative $38 million to produce, so it's already well on its way to being a profitable production. The reviews have been pretty good and there's not much else out there for families, so expect this one to hang around for a few weeks. Captain Underpants should be able to muster $75 million by the times it flies out of theaters.
The Top Ten:
1. Wonder Woman - $103 million (NEW) $103 million
2. Captain Underpants - $24 million (NEW) $24 million
3. Pirates of the Caribbean - $22 million (-65%) $115 million
4. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 - $10 million (-53%) $356 million
5. Baywatch - $8.7 million (-53%) $42 million
6. Alien: Covenant - $4.1 million (-62%) $67 million
7. Everything, Everything - $3.3 million (-45%) $28 million
8. Snatched - $1.3 million (-67%) $44 million
9. Diary of a Whimpy Kid: The Long Haul - $1.3 million (-71%) $18 million
10. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $1.2 million (-64%) $37 million
Source: Box Office Mojo