Box Office - 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
The once mighty (by box office standards) Transformers film is finally starting to rust and wither away. This is the first release to truly disappoint at the domestic box office, and judging by the quality of the films as of late, that's just what this franchise deserves.
Transformers: The Last Knight (Paramount)
Box Office: $45 milliuon
$45 million is a huge come-down from the last film, which grossed a respectable $100 million in it's first weekend. Sure, The Last Knight had already been out for two days and has so far grossed $68 million, but that's still a huge dip. This film will undoubtedly still make money in the long run, mostly because of China, but it might soil those plans that Paramount had for further sequels and spin-offs. You just can't have a movie that costs $217 million gross $45 million in the U.S. on it's first weekend and still deem it a viable franchise. Overall, I expect Transformers: The Last Knight to make it to around $150 million domestically, which is a giant drop from the already disappointing $240 million take of the last film, Age of Extinction.
The Top 10:
1. Transformers: The Last Knight - $45 million (NEW) $68 million
2. Wonder Woman - $25 million (-40%) $318 million
3. Cars 3 - $24 million (-55%) $99 million
4. 47 Meters Down - $7 million (-37%) $24 million
5. The Mummy - $6 million (-58%) $69 million
6. All Eyez on Me - $6 million (78%) $39 million
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - $5 million (-40%) $160 million
8. Rough Night - $4.7 million (-41%) $16,6 million
9. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - $4.3 million (-40%) $66 million
10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 - $3 million (-40%) $380 million
Source: Box Office Mojo