Box Office Results - 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword' and 'Snatched'
I knew it was going to happen, but for some reason I held onto that sliver of hope that King Arthur might just break out. Well, it didn't. In fact, it completely fell on its face this weekend in the wake of the juggernaut that is Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2. The Amy Schumer/Goldie Hawn vehicle Snatched also came out and did middle-of-the-road business.
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (WB)
Box Office: $15.4 million
This honestly makes me a little sad. I just watched this film and while it most certainly has its fair share of flaws, it didn't deserve some of the harsh reviews it received. The movie made a paltry $15 million this weekend, which is next to nothing compared to its massive $175 million budget. Just thinking about this reminds me of how insane WB was to spend this much on a origin story about King Arthur, have they not learned that spending this much money on an unreliable property always leads to tons of red ink in the books? If I'm being real, this film should have cost $100 million tops, and it shouldn't have released on the notorious bomb-grounds that is the second week of the summer movie season. Sheesh.
All this said, I want this film to at least hold up and make a bit of money, even if its not able to recoup its budget, because it truly is a fun film. Judging by the high audience scores, I think this film will actually hold up pretty well. I think King Arthur: Legend of the Sword will settle in around $45 million by the time it's through.
Box Office: $19.5 million
This film was a bit of a wildcard. There are always a couple of comedies during the summer movie season that break out in a big way, and Amy Schumer is a huge star that is capable of carrying a film on her own and bringing in large crowds. That said, I didn't see much in the way of marketing for the film and it seemed to be slipping under the radar. With that in mind, I think $19.5 million is actually fairly good for this $40 million-budgeted comedy. If the film holds up expect it to reach $60 million, maybe even higher.
The Top 10
1. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 - $65.3 million (-55.5%) $248 million
2. Snatched - $19.5 million (NEW) $19.5 million
3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $15.4 million (NEW) $15.4 million
4. The Fate of the Furious - $5.4 million (-37%) $215 million
5. Beauty and the Beast - $4.8 million (-5.5%) $494 million
6. The Boss Baby - $4.5 million (-24.8%) $162 million
7. How to be a Latin Lover - $3.9 million (-25%) $26 million
8. Lowriders - $2.4 million (NEW) $2.4 million
9. The Circle - $1.8 million (-55%) $19 million
10. Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - $1.6 million (-53.2%) $19 million
Source: Box Office Mojo